Howto long-term debug with beroNet's tool "PowerDebug"
What is it ?
In many cases problems are not reproducable immediately because they are happening not every time. Or, sometimes audio would be needed inside the trace, and therefore the capacity doesn't reach, or, or, or. Like everyone knows, maybe, beroNet gateways have not much capacity to store traces, that's why often traces are not complete or overwritten with other data, and the sitiuation which was want to be investigated is not included. For all these cases we made "PowerDebug". This tool consists of a server and a client application. The server is written in Java and can run anywhere where a Java VM (JRE) is installed. The client is an App which can be installed on a beroNet gateway.
Install PowerDebug server as Windows Service
You want to run the server under Windows as Windows Service ? No problem, here are the steps you need to do so:
- Download PowerDebug-Package from here: powerdebug-0.9.0.BETA-windows.zip
- Unpack zip-file to a directory you want to run this tool and receive traces
- You'll get a new directory named "powerdebug-<version>", in which <version> stands for the installed PowerDebug version.
- Go to this directory and execute install "install-service.bat" as administrator
- If everything gone well, you should now have a new entry in the windows "Services" manager named "PowerDebug"
- Select this new entry and start the service
- Now it's time to check if the server is porperly working. For that you should open a browser and enter this url: http://localhost:8888
- Last step is to install the client application onto the gateway. For this, you have to login to the gateway first. Go to the menu "Apps->Market", press "upload file" and choos the app-file which is in the directory "apps" which can be found in the installation dirctory of the server application. There must be a file named "powerdebug-<version>-app.tar.gz". choose this file. After upload you will be asked if you really want to install, choose "yes". After installing the app you should find a new menu entry under "Apps"-menu named "powerdebug". Click this new item and you should be redirected to the powerdebug client gui: